[Sca-cooks] Advice on cleaning deep frying pots

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Oct 14 14:05:55 PDT 2002

At 01:46 PM 10/14/02 -0700, you wrote:
>> I once lived with a woman who grew up on a farm and her mom used cast
>> iron a lot. She nearly jumped out of her skin one day when I came home
>> one day and into the kitchen, and screamed. Shewas washing the skillet
>> in a sinkful of soapy dishwater.....just like her mom did, she always
>> claimed.
>Yes, I have also always dismissed the NEVER WASH.  Of course you wash cast
iron.  But only a light, quick wash in soapy water to remove the fresh oil.
 It will be 'dirty' by dinner plate standards, still oily. Then dry very
well and wipe with oil if you live in a humid area and/or aren't likely to
use the pot again for some weeks. I use mine daily almost, so I don't worry
about that.
>That's how we treated grandmomma's cast iron skillets too.
>Bonne

See! Thank you Bonne, for restoring my faith in what I thought was common
sense (admittedly, I'm somewhat uncommon... ;-)

Going back to the job search stuff...

'Lainie