[Sca-cooks] re: Advice on cleaning deep frying pots

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Tue Oct 15 05:50:00 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bonne de Traquair" <oftraquair at yahoo.com>
I guess the thing is, those of us who are cast-iron washers are washing
just enough to wash off the current layer of surface oil, along with
whatever flavorings it contains, but not leaving it in contact with the
soap long enough to damage the oil in the pores or for soap to seep into
the pores.  Less than a minute.  A soapy rinse.  Never a soak in soap.
At one point began practicing the non-washing of cast iron, but I found
that everything tasted like rancid oil, so I went back to the method I'd
always known.>>>>

Firstly, I would never presume to tell folks to stop using soap.
secondly, I dislike the soapy film that occurs when soap is used on a
poorly seasoned pan . . . that would likely be a LOT of home seasoned
ones . . . as it lingers in the pours as mentioned.

For those items that leave a strong flavor I don't want to linger, I
use oil and a little salt to absorb the top layer and abrade it down a
little.  A paper towl then used to wipe out the oil, and hot water rinse
with clean sponge, if desired, has kept my stuff very clean.  I also
would recommend two skillets if the flavorsare very off-putting:  one
for sweets and one for savories.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco