HEY GUNTHAR! RE: [Sca-cooks] Advice on cleaning deep frying pots

Bonne de Traquair oftraquair at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 14 15:41:51 PDT 2002

I guess the thing is, those of us who are cast-iron washers are washing just enough to wash off the current layer of surface oil, along with whatever flavorings it contains, but not leaving it in contact with the soap long enough to damage the oil in the pores or for soap to seep into the pores.  Less than a minute.  A soapy rinse.  Never a soak in soap.
At one point began practicing the non-washing of cast iron, but I found that everything tasted like rancid oil, so I went back to the method I'd always known.
Perhaps it's a matter of the age of the pan?  When I have had new cast iron, I do avoid washing it until every third use or so, to build up the seasoning, but after a certain point, it becomes washable.  IMO.
And yes I do like cilantro, and fresh ginger, though I recall the days they were new flavors that I described as 'soapy'.

Bonne
Various quotes I am agreeing or disagreeing with:
 Well, the thing is, that with a properly seasoned pan, the oil in it floats
the crud off. It's really the ultimate non-stick surface.

Cast iron is very porous, compared to other metals, and the point of all the
seasoning is to fill thje pores with oil. Yes, garlic and other strong
flavors will migrate into the pores, but so will soap- which is why you
don't use soap on cast iron. Given my druthers, I'd much rather have garlic
or curry flavored pancakes or eggs, than soap-flavored.

Of course, some of you folks eat lots of cilantro, also- maybe you like
soap?