[Sca-cooks] Fun and ignorance - The Response

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 15 00:10:51 PDT 2002

Martin G. Diehl gave a very good analasys of a recent letter sent

by "Editor- Alternative-Beauty.com" to Apollonia:

> Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albizzi wrote:
>>
>> Here are the thought of the editor of the page...
>
> .. and I have inserted another way to analyze her response ...
>
> Please NOTE that my comments here are simply my initial analysis of
> the editor's response to Apollonia merely to expose the wide use of
> false rhetoric in that response.

<snip>

>> Your commentary first of all was terribly unkind.
>
> Appeal to pity.
>
>> Second- you offer no validity for your comments such as a PHD in
>> cultural study for example.  Which I suspect you are not as if you
>> were- you would first of all know that although N. Culpepper was
>> notorious in his day- that was the case only in particular realms
>> and not the whole of the medieval era GLOBALLY.
>
> Ad Hominem attack against Apollonia
>
> Misleading response since Culpepper is a Renaissance source not Medieval.
<snip>

>> Suggestions for improvement are always welcome- however, your very
>> uncouth approach only serves to discredit any commentary you may make-
>
> Discredit the prior message while not giving us any way to judge the
> validity of the editor's claim.  e.g., just saying that something in
> the article was incorrect might have been enough to elicit her
> "I have to defend myself against this unjustified attack" response.
>
>> and, do NOT email me ever again.
>
> Rejecting any discussion.
>
>> Best wishes-
>
> Inconsistent
>
>> Editor- Alternative-Beauty.com
>
> Additional side note ... I suggest that we make Google an honorary SCAdian,
> it had about 1,000,000 references to "Rhetoric"; 37,100 to Hildegard, ...
>
> .. and to put this back on topic, all of the above is food for thought.

Thank you Martin, for some quite interesting commentary. I have never had
any formal training in rhetoric, so this is all new to me.

I did not like this Editor's reply and found it very rude. I admit I
have not seen Apollonia's original message but I think only a very rude
letter should rate such a reply. It smacks to me very much of someone
who is unsure of her own facts and unwilling to listen or consider other
viewpoints. A bad trait, in my opinion, for an "Editor".

I've been very tempted to put much of this thread into the Florilegium. I
suspect that the search engines would find it in short order and that it
would then get referanced when anyone asked about "Alternative-Beauty.com".
However, to do so would violate my own rules about posting private email
and it is probably getting a bit far from the general purpose of my site.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at florilegium.org