[Sca-cooks] Sourdough -- Herman rides again

Tue Oct 15 06:31:32 PDT 2002

When I am baking regularly, I leave my starter covered and on the counter.
It needs to be fed twice daily and used at least once every three days to
keep the volume down.  The greater the volume of starter, the harder it is
to keep it all fermenting and the easier it is for mold to attack it.

If I'm not using it regularly, I refrigerate it and feed it a small amount
every three or four days.  I your case, I would recommend refrigeration.

In either case, keep about one half cup to one cup of dried or frozen
starter to reconstitute your atarter in case you lose the active starter to
mold, fermentation failure, neglect, etc.

Bear