[Sca-cooks] Sourdough -- Herman rides again

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 15 00:35:05 PDT 2002

> Does Herman just generally live on the counter? I've been thinking of
> "adopting" a sourdough starter of my own.  Most of the instructions I've
> seen have you refrigerate it, but feed it periodically.  I don't have
> the time (or the need) to make fresh bread every week, so I'm in some
> doubt as to which option would be better....
> --Maire
>
> "Decker, Terry D." wrote:
>>
>> Two years after subjecting him to the cryogenic depths of the refrigerator
>> freezer, Herman has returned to bubble on the counter.

For possibly some more info on "Herman" but definitely some more info
on sourdough starters and bread yeasts, check these files in the FOOD-BREADS
section in the Florilegium:
BNYeast-art       (14K)  4/24/97    "A Brief Note on Yeast" by Katerine Rountre.
brd-mk-sour-msg   (58K) 11/13/00    Breadmaking -Period sourdough bread recipes.
yeasts-msg        (72K)  7/ 6/00    Medieval use of yeast. Using it in the CMA.

Stefan
stefan at florilegium.org