[Sca-cooks] re: Advice on cleaning deep frying pots

Bonne de Traquair oftraquair at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 15 11:13:11 PDT 2002

I would soak the whole in a baking soda solution. It will disolve the carbon and grease.  It may even be worth your while to use dishwasher detergent as a soaking agent - especially the newest types that claim to dissolve baked on foods.  (and they do, Corning Ware with 18 year old brown grease spots on the outside came noticeably cleaner in one cycle.)   Soak for a day, pour it off, scrape out the loosened gunk and repeat.  Keep doing this until you get to the point that the wire brush will be effective.  And then, re-season.
I said I'd be at GWW, but Friday, on my way to buy food for our picnic basket, dashboard lights started flashing and steam/smoke started pouring out from under the hood.  Cracked radiator.  At least it was Friday night in town, and not the Saturday morning on our way to the war. I will be at Gylldenholt Harvest week after next though.
Bonne
 I could use some advice. I have two big cast-iron dutch ovens with entirely
burnt-on surfaces...I'm thinking of going the soaking and
wire-bruch route, then re-seasoning the whole things. Sigh. Advice please?

Selene