[Sca-cooks] re: Advice on cleaning deep frying pots

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at mind.net
Wed Oct 16 16:56:39 PDT 2002

Nick Sasso wrote:

>For those items that leave a strong flavor I don't want to linger, I
>use oil and a little salt to absorb the top layer and abrade it down a
>little.  A paper towl then used to wipe out the oil, and hot water rinse
>with clean sponge, if desired, has kept my stuff very clean.  I also
>would recommend two skillets if the flavorsare very off-putting:  one
>for sweets and one for savories.

Of related note, I saw an article in the local paper today about not
using non-stick sprays on cheaper non-stick pans, something to do with
the higher heat causing the spray to be absorbed into the coating and
creating a tacky residue. The writer was ambivilent as to whether this
was some not-to-well-know bit of knowledge, or a manufactured
'old-wives-tail' by the non-stick pan manufactuers to get people to
invest in the better, and pricier, quality pans.

I prefer to clean the cast iron as soon as possible after I'm done
cooking, as soon as it's cool enough to handle, which is also about the
same temp as the hot water from the tap. I prefer to wipe out the pan
with a paper towel, rinse it in hot water with a light scrubbing, towel
dry and set on a warm stovetop until dry, then another wipe with fresh
oil or shortening (I was told long ago that the shortening goes rancid
less quickly than vegetable oil). Occasionally, of if the food and/or
cleaning has pulled a lot of the oils from the iron, I'll let extra
seasoning soak in the still warming pan for awhile.

I also use a griddle for pancakes and the skillet for other things. So
if 'Lainie is tasting garlic in her pancakes down here, it's not the
cast iron.....:)

--
Edouard, Sire de Bruyerecourt
bruyere at mind.net