[Sca-cooks] re: Advice on cleaning deep frying pots

Bonne de Traquair oftraquair at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 17 16:31:41 PDT 2002

About a year ago, I decided to buy cheap non-stick pans on the theory that if they get the least bit torn up, I'll replace them.  We used the last 'good' one long past the safe point.  And long past the non-stick point as well because it had cost so much.  I purchased an 8 inch skillet for $2.99 at Ikea.  For the record, that pan is still going along just fine, no signs of teflon peelage.  I don't use non-stick spray in it, but my daughters do.  The spray residue blackens, but mostly washes off with soap and water.  It is slowly building up a layer that looks like seasoning in an iron skillet. It is not tacky to the touch. It is as non-stick as it ever was.  YMMV
Bonne
 Edouard de Bruyerecourt <bruyere at mind.net> wrote:>
Of related note, I saw an article in the local paper today about not
using non-stick sprays on cheaper non-stick pans, something to do with
the higher heat causing the spray to be absorbed into the coating and
creating a tacky residue. The writer was ambivilent as to whether this
was some not-to-well-know bit of knowledge, or a manufactured
'old-wives-tail' by the non-stick pan manufactuers to get people to
invest in the better, and pricier, quality pans.