[Sca-cooks] re: Advice on cleaning deep frying pots

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Tue Oct 15 08:51:32 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Susan Fox-Davis" <selene at earthlink.net>
> I could use some advice.  I have two big cast-iron dutch ovens with
entirely
> burnt-on surfaces.  I got delayed at war HQ while dinner was cooking
in the
> embers.  The middle was still tasty enough and that's what we ate,
but it's
> going to be a difficult process.  I'm thinking of going the soaking
and
> wire-bruch route, then re-seasoning the whole things.  Sigh.  Advice
please?
> Selene Colfox

If you are looking to bail on the seasoning and start over, then I
recommend finding a friend with a self cleaning oven and run the pot
through a cycle or two.  The food particles basically incinerate and
become cleanable, if not ashen.  Mine came out a couple of weeks back
with some ash in the bottom and a little rust still left on it.  If the
crud is hugely bad, then take some steel wool to it and get it smooth.
You might find a couple tablespoons of oil and a hand full of salt to be
sufficient abrasive to clean.  Immediately season with oil and heat to
get the coating back where you need it.  Even overnight could give you
rust if humid.  If no oven to use, then heat it up really high on a gas
grill with lid down.  Or, just wade on in with your abrasive.  A drill
with a wire brush is useful if you have absolutely no chance to clean it
out . . . . takes it down, and needs good seasoning like it never was
before.

AS always, YMMV.  Others may have additional good, safe cleaning
ideas.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco