[Sca-cooks] OOP: Bakin' Bacon

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Tue Oct 15 18:42:33 PDT 2002

>In restaurants, i know they don't "fry" it in a pan on the stove, but
>cook it in the oven...

Not always...  Some places deep fry it!!!

>So, what's the secret of doing this?

Well, there are likely as many ways to cook bacon in the oven as there are
people doing it...  I developped a technique when I was cooking about 10-15
pounds of it each day for breakfast...

Baking sheet.  No wax paper (though some people prefer wax or baking paper
liner).  Lay down the bacon without stretching it, and overlap them
some.  Fatty end on the pan, meaty part over the fatty part of the previous
strip.  Bake at 400 until  about 3/4 cooked.  Remove pan carefully from
oven, as fat will move around lots.  Drain fat (in other than plastic/styro
container...  I'm saying this as I had someone drain it in plastic
glass...  DOH).  Separate each strip of bacon.  If you're not going to use
immediately, cool down, cover and put in a cool place (fridg for example).

Finish to cook on the stove top.

I found that if cooking entirely in the oven I didn't get a good result.

Don't forget that the bacon continues on cooking a bit :-)

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forth Castle, Meridies
mka