[Sca-cooks] Drakey got his licence! YAY!

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Oct 15 20:39:00 PDT 2002

At 01:16 PM 10/16/02 +1000, you wrote:

>> Oh, that's kind of cool.  How big (driving distance and or # of
>people)
>> are
>> your baronies?  Mine is considered huge, and is about 4 hours across
>(we
>> have 5 cantons now).  Of course, I think I could go to an event within
>> kingdom / within 5-6 hours or so most weekends during high season....
>
>Assuming 100km/hr highway driving...
>
>Nearest Groups:	Shire of Torlyon 45 mins
>			Barony of Rowany (Sydney) 3.5 hrs & Sub-groups
>			Shire of Bordercros 4 hrs
>			Barony of Stormhold (Melbourne) 8 hrs
>
>We're pretty spread thin in Lochac.

Here it depends on where you are. I'm currently in the Barony of Three
Mountains. There are three Baronies and several Shires just between us and
the Barony of Madrone, which is three hours northwards in moderate traffic.
To the south, one hour to B of Terra Pomeria (Salem), two hours to B of
Adiantum (Eugene), lots of shires and the last one, the Shire of Glyn Dwfn
(Hi Sweetie!) is all of five hours south. Farther south and there be
dragons and monsters and Westies!

(BTW- I hear that TGs John and Gabrielle are heading back to Oz!)

That is the south of An Tir. If you head north and east, things are spread
out considerably, as in 12 hours between groups, etc. Maire could tell you
how far to Montengarde and Borealis. Hours. And hours. Of not much but
plains, maybe mountains, and moose.

If I wanted to, there's an event within two hours about every weekend. If
you extend to four or five hours, you have to play eenie-meenie, becasue
there's far too many.

There are areas where you can do all your SCA on teh city transit and never
leave the home branch, and still do lots. And there are places where you
drive and drive and drive just for a weekly fight practice. Takes all
kinds, and makes for a very different experience.

So... how does distance figure in to how and how often people play? We were
talking about vehicles- and how we play differently depending on how much
stuff we lug around- do we similarly alter our *style* of particiaption
based on time and distance?

Just wondering,

'Lainie