[Sca-cooks] Drakey got his licence! YAY!

Generys ferch Ednuyed generys at blazemail.com
Wed Oct 16 05:55:09 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at efn.org>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 11:39 PM
Subject: RE: [Sca-cooks] Drakey got his licence! YAY!

> At 01:16 PM 10/16/02 +1000, you wrote:
> >>
> >> Oh, that's kind of cool.  How big (driving distance and or # of
> >people)
> >> are
> >> your baronies?  Mine is considered huge, and is about 4 hours across
> >(we
> >> have 5 cantons now).  Of course, I think I could go to an event within
> >> kingdom / within 5-6 hours or so most weekends during high season....
> >
> >Assuming 100km/hr highway driving...
> >
> >Nearest Groups: Shire of Torlyon 45 mins
> > Barony of Rowany (Sydney) 3.5 hrs & Sub-groups
> > Shire of Bordercros 4 hrs
> > Barony of Stormhold (Melbourne) 8 hrs
> >
> >We're pretty spread thin in Lochac.
>
> Here it depends on where you are. I'm currently in the Barony of Three
> Mountains. There are three Baronies and several Shires just between us and
> the Barony of Madrone, which is three hours northwards in moderate
traffic.
> To the south, one hour to B of Terra Pomeria (Salem), two hours to B of
> Adiantum (Eugene), lots of shires and the last one, the Shire of Glyn Dwfn
> (Hi Sweetie!) is all of five hours south. Farther south and there be
> dragons and monsters and Westies!
>
> (BTW- I hear that TGs John and Gabrielle are heading back to Oz!)
>
> That is the south of An Tir. If you head north and east, things are spread
> out considerably, as in 12 hours between groups, etc. Maire could tell you
> how far to Montengarde and Borealis. Hours. And hours. Of not much but
> plains, maybe mountains, and moose.
>
> If I wanted to, there's an event within two hours about every weekend. If
> you extend to four or five hours, you have to play eenie-meenie, becasue
> there's far too many.
>
> There are areas where you can do all your SCA on teh city transit and
never
> leave the home branch, and still do lots. And there are places where you
> drive and drive and drive just for a weekly fight practice. Takes all
> kinds, and makes for a very different experience.
>
> So... how does distance figure in to how and how often people play? We
were
> talking about vehicles- and how we play differently depending on how much
> stuff we lug around- do we similarly alter our *style* of particiaption
> based on time and distance?
>
> Just wondering,
>
> 'Lainie

Hmm, I'm not sure I would play as much if I had that much of a drive - I
just couldn't get that much time off work. :-(  Of course, I'm very, very
spoiled by being smack dab in the middle of the kingdom...

Generys

(who goes to events in a way-to-small saturn sc-1... on the other hand, it
gets fabulous gas mileage...)