[Sca-cooks] muslim/islamic courts

Mark Calderwood mark-c at acay.com.au
Tue Oct 15 21:47:03 PDT 2002

At 08:01 15/10/02 -0600, you wrote:
>Unfortunately, not much narrowing.  It's not a topic about which I am at
>ALL knowledgable, and the guy for whom I'm asking doesn't know either.
>I get the impression that it's roughly 11th-14th centuries, and more
>Middle-Eastern, less European/Andalusian.  At this point, he's just
>looking for sources for general data (did people sit on pillows? how did
>they show reverence? how were the audience rooms/court areas decorated?
>did they have heralds in ways similar to European courts, etc.).
>I don't think he's much into really authentic stuff (more's the shame),
>but (if possible), I'd like to steer him towards the better sources
>(whatever they turn out to be).

I see what you're saying, but for research purposes it's still too broad to
be practical, I don't have a lot of free time right now. Perhaps you could
ask him to nail down what he wants to know about (and from where and when)
and contact me privately?

I hope you can steer him to the authentic stuff; to my mind it's just as
unacceptable and pointless to do generic/Hollywood/psuedo middle eastern as
it is to do psuedo European.

Giles