[Sca-cooks] Dayboards?

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Oct 16 07:32:48 PDT 2002

> I am in Meridies, and have never heard of a "dayboard". Can someone please
> explain what these are exactly, where they began, historical references,
> etc? What is the practical purpose? Are they easier or more difficult to
> plan for and prepare than the traditional 3 meals? Around here, the event
> rarely provides lunch, just Friday (traveler's Fare) and Saturday dinner
> (feast) and Saturday and Sunday breakfasts. I'm really interested in the
> dayboard idea.

Dayboard is usually a substitute for 'lunch'-- it can be a short dayboard
(only over lunch) or a day-long one... People like it if you concentrate
on stuff that they can carry away-- pies, lumps of meat, cheese, fruit,
veggies. Soup is also very popular.

There is an anecdotal tradition that complains that dayboards are always
bread, cheese and fruit but I really don't see that many dayboards done
that way-- I see a lot of pies. I'm going to start collecting dayboard
menus from the East kingdom and try to do a collection on the web to try
to give an idea of how broad this is.

Saturday breakfast isn't as common at events I've been to as Saturday
dayboard-- in fact, I love the idea of not having to haul a cooler full of
stuff around so much that I'll choose an event with a dayboard over an
event without a dayboard.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
"I used to be one of them. Now I rather think I'm one of me." -- Terry
Prachett, _Thief of Time_