[Sca-cooks] Driving times

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 16 11:35:14 PDT 2002

Interesting Inter-Kingdom Anthropology here.

Paraphrasing Jeff Foxworthy:  "If two hours is a long drive or a short court,
you just might be a Caidan."  Within a two-hour drive of where I'm sitting right
now, I can reach 6 baronies [Altavia, Angels, Lyondemere, Dun Or, Dreiburgen,
Gyldenholt -- maybe Calafia if we really punch it]  and 4 shires [Heatherwyne,
Darach, Isles, Wintermist].  We mostly don't =need= two-day events, although the
ones we have are well-loved and well-attended.

The exceptions are the wars of course, and Collegium Caidis.  Two days are
getting to be not long enough for the number of classes!  We also have the
highly in-demand Winter Weekend, a January post-Twelfth-Night getaway in the
snowy mountains over Dreibergen, and Darachshire's Black Oak Lodge on the first
weekend of Spring, where they let me run rampant over their kitchen, hee hee
hee.  Contrary to the "Caidans melt in the rain" rumor, we just moved the rapier
fighting indoors and had a perfectly swell time this past year.

Longer drives are generally acceptable for Potrero or Highland War, or if one of
the major kingdom events is in one of the "outlying" areas of Continental Caid,
like Nordwache [Fresno] or Starkhafn [Las Vegas].  I didn't go to Twelfth Night
in Starkhafn last year though;  the drive was long and the banquet was catered,
so as Phlip says, there was not much to offer me that time.

Selene, Caid