[Sca-cooks] Dayboards?

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Oct 16 15:20:11 PDT 2002

In a message dated 10/16/2002 10:42:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
icbhod at comcast.net writes:

> I love this idea! Can you give me an idea of when dayboards start usually
> and how they are arranged? I love to do weird things around here... maybe
> I'll do a dayboard for Fighter's Collegium....

Usually start around noon or 12:30, maybe as late as one, and are usually set
out as your standard buffet - although I highly encourage someone stationed
at the table for portion control - people have a tendency to take more than
they will eat and then throw a bunch of it away.  Having bread sliced and
pies portioned out and such tends to make people take smaller amounts than if
they have to cut it themselves; only putting out a little at a time and
refilling the serving bowls frequently also helps - people are more likely to
take more if it looks like there is tons left than if it looks like there's a
limited supply.

For a Fighter's Collegium, I would focus on solid stuff like meat pies,
sausage rolls, fighter snacks (cream cheese spread on dried beef or on
Lebanon bologna and rolled up, cut into bite-sized pieces sometimes), bread,
etc, although you will also find that pickles of all sorts go over well, and
cantalope is an unrecognized favorite of fighters...(we had diced cantalope
to give away to fighters returning from the Woods battle at Pennsic 30.  It
was amazing how many fighters started to say "No, I don't need any
water..wait a minute, did you say *cantalope*?  YES, PLEASE!"  We'd hand a
bowl into a group and every hand was either in the bowl or heading for mouths
in a second.)

Brangwayna Morgan