[Sca-cooks] Should I be doing this?

vongraph vongraph at comcast.net
Wed Oct 16 20:31:22 PDT 2002

> >This is our first baby.  I have no direct experience of how much time
this
> >kid is going to take.  Should I even be trying this?

I have six children and two still at home but both are teenagers now so I
have vague idea of what I speak. First off your baby is going to take about
five times as much time as you think it will.  Now taking for granted your
not a total pig and don't expect your wife to do everything (well the breast
feeding is one area you can cop out on without guilt:) ) for the baby, you
will be spending a great deal of time that you had planned to spend on other
things:)
As far as bringing the baby to event at four months old, it is very
possible, if you make sure to have all the goodies necessary. Some thoughts,
buy at least three extra nuks:) You lose the only one you have and you might
as well commit suicide. Secondly make sure you have all the diaper rash
cream you can afford to purchase, this way what ever quanity you forget at
home you will still likely have some with you. Next consider how the baby is
going to sleep at event, cradle, box, in your or your wifes arms? Very
important that the baby is comfortable, three days of no sleep and you not
only risk the health of the baby but your sanity as well.  Next consider
what the weather is going to be like, If your tenting and its warm the baby
cannot be left in tent in middle of day for nap.  Also on same line get hold
of papoose or back pack for baby to be carried in. Period stroller is neat
idea but difficult to build. Front or back pack is only way to go and either
of you can carry baby. Also some form of bug repellent that will not eat the
babies skin is very important, baby suffering bug bites is very unhappy
baby.  Other than those things and a few which I have forgotten you should
be fine. Just use your head and do not fall into the first child syndromn,
babys are allot sturdier than you think. Just use your head and enjoy the
experience.
Now the last point, you will notice sometime during delivery the wonderful
loving woman you married suddenly realizes that the experience she is going
through is your fault. Though the  joy of having the baby finally and taking
it home etc over shadows this feeling, it still will lurk in the back of her
head for awhile, so when you take on cooking feast make sure you have some
time to spell her from the baby chores during the day. Though there will be
many others there to take the baby for a bit, it sure will make her feel
better if YOU take even a couple minutes to care for your baby and give wife
a break. Lastly these things are important to make sure she developes a
thorough case of amnesia.  You are aware of what amnesia is, thats the
ability for a woman to again go to bed with a man after delievering a baby:)

YIS, Elric who would not trade the experince of his kids for anything.