[Sca-cooks] OOP: Bakin' Bacon

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Oct 17 03:37:59 PDT 2002

Also sprach Edouard de Bruyerecourt:
>Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:
>
>>Not always...  Some places deep fry it!!!
>
>We've been know to do that if we need to cook in a hurry, or the
>customer really, really want's it really, really crisp. Some emphasize
>"burnt" when ordering.
>
>The rest of the process as we do it  is as Muiredach described. The
>major point of baking is to pre-cook as much as possible without taking
>up grill space, and then just finishing the cooking on the grill, enough
>to warm up the refridgerated cooked bacon, or to make it crispy if so
>ordered.

I also am of the baked bacon school, because it seems to cook
unevenly in certain large pans, even cast iron pans, on the stove
top, and requires a fair amount of attention to prevent this. And as
(was it Bonne?) points out, a timer is helpful to assure the bacon
does receive enough of your attention when needed.

I'm a little leery of deep-frying it, though. I would think, after a
while, it would contribute to all kinds of funky flavors and
rancidity in the frying oil, depending on how often this is done.
Which, in an industrial deep-fryer, can be a problem.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER