[Sca-cooks] researching recipes

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Oct 17 18:02:51 PDT 2002

> Actually, it's ale barm rather than beer yeast.  The practice is first
> mentioned by Pliny.  Ale barm is the foam on top of the ale which contains
> active fermenting yeast.

You know, I just looked in my 'bread' folder on my email, which I will do
something with in my copious spare time and as soon as I find my kitchen
(currently full of scented geraniums) and my dining room table (don't ask,
I don't even KNOW what's on it-- my house has reached what Dorothy Sayers
might call 'an advanced state of SCAdianism' if she were in the SCA)...

ANYWAY, well over 80% of the stuff on bread in it is from Bear.

Bear, thank you for sharing your knowledge so generously and being such a
wonderful resource.

And of course thanks to everyone else who's posting good stuff about bread
and everything else. But all of a sudden I just felt like thanking Bear.
:)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
"I used to be one of them. Now I rather think I'm one of me." -- Terry
Prachett, _Thief of Time_