[Sca-cooks] researching recipes

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 18 14:40:12 PDT 2002

There are some 18th century receipts (sorry, my frame of reference) for
preserving your yeast for the seasons when it's too hot or cold to brew
beer.  I haven't worked with the receipts so I don't know exactly what they
are or how well they work, but one method is to paint thin layers of ale
yeast on the inside of a clean wooden bowl, and turn the bowl upside-down to
dry before applying the next layer.  When you have achieved maximum layer
potential and it's all dry, scrape the powder off into a container, and you
have powdered yeast.

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.   Emerson