[Sca-cooks] scents for washing water

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Oct 17 19:21:54 PDT 2002

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Daniel Myers wrote:

> On Thursday, October 17, 2002, at 09:52 AM, jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
> wrote:
>
> > I know people are busy reading different texts and primary sources, so
> > I'd
> > like to ask a favor: if you come across references to scented water for
> > the hands-- especially if it specifies what scents-- could you email
> > me or
> > post it here? I'm trying to collect more information on the topic.
>
> I think "Early French Cookery" (Scully) suggested sage, but I'll have
> to check later tonight.
>
> - Doc

Doesn't Menagier talk about scented waters for washing hands?

*checking online*

Here 'tis:
TO MAKE WATER TO WASH THE HANDS AT TABLE. Boil sage, then strain the
water, and let cool until it is luke-warm. Or instead you can use camomile
or marjoram, or rosemary : and cook with the peel of an orange. And also
laurel leaves [bay leaves] are good for this.

Margaret