[Sca-cooks] scents for washing water

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Oct 17 20:54:47 PDT 2002

> Doesn't Menagier talk about scented waters for washing hands?
>
> *checking online*
>
> Here 'tis:
> TO MAKE WATER TO WASH THE HANDS AT TABLE. Boil sage, then strain the
> water, and let cool until it is luke-warm. Or instead you can use camomile
> or marjoram, or rosemary : and cook with the peel of an orange. And also
> laurel leaves [bay leaves] are good for this.

Oops. I should have mentioned the ones I've got, or at least pointed to
the current version of the article.

http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/handwater.html

Thank you for finding the Le Menagier quote and posting it, though.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
"I used to be one of them. Now I rather think I'm one of me." -- Terry
Prachett, _Thief of Time_