[Sca-cooks] Re: Roman Cookery - Pear Patina (Pre-period OT) & Apicius question

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Oct 18 05:19:09 PDT 2002

Also sprach Susan Laing:
>BTW - can anyone remind me of which is the recommended version of
>picius?  - is it Vehling or Rosenblaum (sp?) - just writing up a "wish list"
>of books I would like and need to get the details right

Barbara Flower and Elisabeth Rosenbaum's edition still hasn't been
improved upon, AFAIAC. BTW, what's this about pre-period? What are
you people, Midrealmers or something? ;-) Not only does the SCA have
no early cutoff date, but surviving copies of Apicius date (I think)
to no earlier than the late seventh, early eighth, centuries C.E.
There are various reasons to believe the book is [much] older than
that, but our extant copies are essentially early medieval, depending
on one's definition of the word.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER