[Sca-cooks] Lobster Species

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Oct 20 10:10:31 PDT 2002

Also sprach Yamil O Kiwan:
>Maine lobster (with claws)
>
>  > To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
>>  Subject: [Sca-cooks] Lobster Species
>>
>>  Does anyone know off hand if the lobster's served in the northern lands of
>>  Europe in the middle ages were more like the spiny lobster (with no claws)
>>  or more like the Maine lobster (with claws)?
>>
>>  I'm too lazy to go look it up <g>  cooking casseroles all day for the
>>  husband unit.
>>
>  > Kristianne

Yup. Homardus Americanus seems to be the beastie in question, in
spite of being associated taxonomically with America and
popularly/geographically with Maine. It's more like the Northern
Hemisphere Atlantic Lobster; the various langoustes, langostinos,
sea-crayfish, squillfish, and other spiny-type lobsters are more
Southern Atlantic, Mediterranean, and Pacific, I think.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER