[Sca-cooks] researching recipes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Oct 20 12:30:30 PDT 2002

If you have the dough at the proper height, you can press the dough out with
the heels of your hands using body weight rather than hand strength.  It's
actually easier on the muscles than trying to knead the dough with you
fingers.  I find that bakers with slighter frames often develop better
kneading technique than people who can crush the dough into shape.

Top fermenting ale yeast should be a variant of S. cerevisiae, but it may be
a variant which is more resistant to an acid environment than modern bread
yeasts.  Building a continuous starter from ale barm might be an interesting
experiment.  The Germaninc tribes yeasted their ale pots from previous
batches, so it might prove workable.

Bear