[Sca-cooks] researching recipes

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Oct 20 12:59:42 PDT 2002

At 02:30 PM 10/20/02 -0500, you wrote:
>If you have the dough at the proper height, you can press the dough out with
>the heels of your hands using body weight rather than hand strength.  It's
>actually easier on the muscles than trying to knead the dough with you
>fingers.  I find that bakers with slighter frames often develop better
>kneading technique than people who can crush the dough into shape.
>
>Bear

I've had to quit baking bread- I love do do it, and I used to bake twice a
week, as I made all the bread for the family. But for me, it isn't hand
strength- it's that doing anything on the heel of my hands is exquisitely
painful, and one batch of dough will leave me in pain for days. It's not
worth it. And my bread machine... is like the difference between a finely
lettered, illuminated scroll, and a fourth-generation Xerox copy done on
really cheap paper...

'Lainie