[Sca-cooks] Gum Tracaganth

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Mon Oct 21 07:51:01 PDT 2002

At 09:18 AM 10/21/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>There's always been a tradition that not all of the decorative
>sculptures were meant to be eaten anyway, in which case something like
>this might make up and work just fine. I gather this is used to burnish
>leather edges. I wonder if it works the same. Interesting?? Food safe
>isn't mentioned.

Right, Gum Tracaganth is used to, mostly, burnish leather edges, though it
isn't really necessary.  A good bone burnisher, a little spit (yes, I know,
yuck) and some rubbin' will work just fine.

When I was competing in cooking contests (not of the SCA kind), you would
have to present a list of how you made the display piece and would loose
significant points if anything was not edible.  Exception made for frames
for some of the bigger sculpted fat pieces.

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forthcastle, Meridies
mka Nicolas Steenhout
"You must deal with me as I think of myself" - J. Hockenberry