[Sca-cooks] More Russian black bread....

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Mon Oct 21 14:24:33 PDT 2002

    When I was in based in Europe back in the late 70s (the height of the
Dark Empire), I noticed that most of the Russian defectors I dealt with had
a tendency to take a cigarette out of the pack, put it in their mouths, and
blow. Hard. Then light up.
    I asked one why they did this curious ritual, and was told that the
workers in Russian cigarette factories had a habit of mixing dust into the
bins of tobacco, then stealing an equivalent weight for personal use. Or
sale.(everything ran on a quota system there . . .) So a smoker would blow
in the ciggie to clear some of the dust out before actually smoking. As bad
as cigarettes are for you to begin with, that COULDN'T have done anyone any
good at all!
    Then there was a story I was told of a British munitions manufacturer in
the 1930s who, in order just to keep his factories running, lowballed a bid
for shells for the Russian Navy. He got the bid, and during the closing of
the deal was told that of what he was paid, so much had to go to Admiral
So-and-So, so much to Commissar So-and-So, and so forth. The manufacturer
was shocked, and said that he had bid so low just to keep his people
working! The Russian purchasing agent shrugged his shoulders and told him
that was just the way it was . . . The manufacturer exclaimed "If I have to
give these people what you demand, I'll have to make the shells out of
tinfoil and fill them with sawdust!". The Russian brightened up and said
"See? I knew you'd find a way!"

    Sieggy