[Sca-cooks] **OOP** Hard Cooking Eggs

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Oct 22 07:20:12 PDT 2002

> Method 1: steaming: put 1/2 inch or so of water in pot, place steamer insert
> in pot, bring water to a boil, put as many eggs in as you want/will fit in
> the pot, put lid on pot, turn down to simmer, cook for 12 minutes, remove
> eggs to ice water bath (I use tongs).
>
> This produces eggs virtually indistinguishable from boiled eggs except for 2
> things: 1) they seem to be a bit less rubbery in texture, 2) none of them
> got the nasty green ring that I *always* seem to get when I boil eggs (yay!)

*nod* When you boil eggs, do you remove them immediately to the ice-water
bath? I was always told that the green ring came from over-cooking, and I
certainly overcook the hard-boiled eggs I make for events-- but I seldom
get the green ring, and I wonder if it's because I always use the cold
water bath...

Thanks for posting these! They are immensely helpful tips!

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
"I used to be one of them. Now I rather think I'm one of me." -- Terry
Prachett, _Thief of Time_