[Sca-cooks] **OOP** Hard Cooking Eggs

Laura L thalionar at memoriesofsunlight.org
Tue Oct 22 07:57:24 PDT 2002

> *nod* When you boil eggs, do you remove them immediately to the ice-water
> bath? I was always told that the green ring came from over-cooking, and I
> certainly overcook the hard-boiled eggs I make for events-- but I seldom
> get the green ring, and I wonder if it's because I always use the cold
> water bath...
>
> Thanks for posting these! They are immensely helpful tips!
>
> -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
> jenne at fiedlerfamily.net OR jenne at tulgey.browser.net OR jahb at lehigh.edu
> "I used to be one of them. Now I rather think I'm one of me." -- Terry
> Prachett, _Thief of Time_

Yes, I *do* use the cold water bath when boiling... but the cold water bath
is used here, and it doesn't work, either... my personal thought on this is
that it is a more gentle way of cooking the eggs, not only because there
aren't bubbles knocking the eggs, but also because it they are essentially
being cooked by gasses. I'm not a physicist, but there is something tickling
my brain that makes me think this is a less destructive cooking method...
(and, I have managed to have slightly under cooked yolks with green rings
<sigh>... maybe I'm just talented that way? <grin>)

Laura L.
AIM: thalionar, ICQ: 13239593
"Water is the epitome of funky liquids"
     --Brian L