[Sca-cooks] **OOP** Hard Cooking Eggs

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 22 09:36:15 PDT 2002

Laura L. wrote:
>In Alton Brown's cookbook "I'm Just Here for the Food" he has 2 ways of hard
>cooking eggs other than boiling them...
SNIP
>Method 1: steaming:
SNIP
>Method 2: Baking:

I have a compromise way of cooking eggs. I don't really boil them, but...

I put the eggs in a pan and cover them with COLD water.
I put the pot on a high fire and bring them to a boil.
The second it boils, i turn OFF the fire, put the lid on the pan, and
take the pan off the hot burner.
I let the pan sit for around 12 to 15 minutes (bigger eggs sit longer).
Then i pour out the hot water, and fill the pan with cold water.
I test the water - it gets warm quickly.
I then pour out the warm water, and refill the pan with cold water.
Etc.

This appears to keep the sulfur in the yolk from turning green.

This may not be safe if you live where eggs may have salmonella
contamination. As far as i know, California eggs don't have
salmonella. I buy eggs that are local (well, Northern California) and
from chickens that are "free range", are fed no processed animal
parts, etc.

As to Jadwiga's remark, when i've accidentally boiled the eggs a bit,
and then cold water bathed them, i still a yolk that turns green
outside if i let them stand. If i eat them right away, they aren't
green.

Anahita