[Sca-cooks] **OOP** Hard Cooking Eggs

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Oct 22 11:22:17 PDT 2002

> Yes, I *do* use the cold water bath when boiling... but the cold water bath
> is used here, and it doesn't work, either...

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't. I'm sorry if there was offense
taken. The fact that I'm not getting green rings no matter how long I boil
the eggs puzzles me-- clearly the reasoning of the green ring=overcooked
is contradicted by your experience:

> (and, I have managed to have slightly under cooked yolks with green rings
> <sigh>... maybe I'm just talented that way? <grin>)

I wonder if it might be the knocking around, or the age of the eggs? When
I've cooked a half dozen at a time out of my fridge I do get green rings
some of the time.

Wierd. Maybe we should ask some kitchen chemists if they have any ideas.

 -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
"I used to be one of them. Now I rather think I'm one of me." -- Terry
Prachett, _Thief of Time_