[Sca-cooks] **OOP** Hard Cooking Eggs

Marilyn Hillvic hillvicus at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 22 10:41:15 PDT 2002

--- robert frazier <robertblacksmith at yahoo.com> wrote:
> when i cooked in pro kitchens we were told that the
> green ring was caused by the sulfur in the egg and
> aluminum from the pot.if you cook eggs in a
> nonreactive pot,mostly some form of stainless,you
> don't get the ring.alwas worked for me.

I believe/agree the green is sulfur compounds, from
the smell. But I cook eggs in only stainless steel
pots or non-stick (teflon-coated?) pots because they
are what I own. And still sometimes I get the green
rings (say in 1 out of 4 eggs in the same batch), but
the color seems random. So the reactive/non-reactive
pot theory is hooey and cannot be the cause of the
green ring (unless there is aluminum in stainless
steel I don't know about).
       --Marion, the perplexed