[Sca-cooks] Rosaries, was :gum tragacanth

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Oct 22 14:47:11 PDT 2002

At 05:29 PM 10/22/02 -0400, you wrote:
>the "Rosary" is a more recent (by SCA standards <grin> ) term. very late in
>period. like 1500s
<snip
> but
>beads around the neck are "jewelry" but based on an exsisting sermon in the
>1300s we KNOW it was considered appropriate to wear Rosaries AS a
>necklace...

These two statements are somewhat contradictory, no?

AFAIK, the term 'rosary' begins to appear in the 12th c. The classic
rosary, with five decades of ten, etc, can be seen in portraiture in the
late 15th c.

And I am certain that Stefan has this all on file in the Florilegium, if
you care to look it up.

'Lainie