[Sca-cooks] Food from the red and white ball

Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au
Tue Oct 22 17:55:17 PDT 2002

>Kiriel-
>
>How did you do the silver guilding? Did you use actual varak,
>or something
>else? I would love to do edible gold leaf for my feast in 2
>1/2 weeks... any
>suggestions?

I went to my local cake decorating shop and asked them for food silver.  It is a little jar of silver powder. We sprinkled a little on to the sheet and then brushed with a pastry brush; I was quite surprised at how bright a silver they came out.

Gold seems to be a lot harder to get hold of; theoretically you can get similar gold powder, but noone ever seems to have it in stock.  You can, of course, use gold leaf; use egg white to coat the surface then put the gold leaf down.

Hope that this is of some help..

Kiriel