[Sca-cooks] Re: Gum Tragacanth

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 22 21:22:34 PDT 2002

Alys Katharine commented:
> Greetings.  Did anyone else notice that the bottle said "fluid
> ounces"?  That should mean that the contents aren't a powder (which
> is used in sugar paste) but a liquid.  You'd really mess up the
> proportions if you used liquid tragacanth instead of making it into
> a paste.  So, maybe that's why the stuff appears to be cheaper.  It
> isn't the powder stuff.

Good point.

Folks, if you want to find out more about Gum Tragacanth both in

period and today, including several sources, check out Her Excellancies
comments in this file in the FOOD-SWEETS section of the Florilegium:
sugar-paste-msg  (100K) 10/22/02    Making sugar paste sotelties.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/sugar-paste-msg.html

There are also a number of good comments, suggestions and descriptions
by her on making and working with sugar-paste.

I also spent some time today working on this file, previously called
gums-resins-msg   (20K) 10/22/02    Period use of plant gums and resins.
Myrrh, mastic, frankincense, camphor.
This file was previously called resins-msg but I decided to rename it
to make it
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com