[Sca-cooks] large dayboard feast: need advice from those who have done this before

Jim and Andi icbhod at comcast.net
Wed Oct 23 12:03:59 PDT 2002

Oh, another one I just thought of; that *is* medieval and fighters love, I
have served this at a cold dreary blustery event to great success. It's
called Miszkulancja or Bigos (I think pronounced Bee-gauche). It's from the
Maria Dembinska book "food and drink of medieval poland" and the original
recipe calls for all kinds of exotic roast meats (including pheasant and
boar) but I made it like this:

Bigos for 12

2 lbs shredded sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
1 lb cabbage, grated
1 package dried mixed wild mushrooms, snipped with scissors or broken up
into small pieces (don't skip this)
1 lb sliced onions
1 package of dried cherries and 1 of dried apples
1 lb of Polish kielbasa, sliced
1/4 lb bacon, browned and crumbled
1 ham steak, sliced into strips I think 1/2 lb
1 lb beef roast cut into stew chunks
3 cups of strong beef stock
1 cup dry red wine
1 tsp pepper (recipe calls for cubebs)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin

This has to be the easiest recipe ever. You just dump all the ingredients in
an electric crockpot (I used 2 electric roasters) or you could bake it in
aluminum roasting pans, covered *tightly*. This must cook at a low temp (250
or 275) for as long as possible, at least 5 hours. It should come out like a
thick stew. I served this with thin buckwheat pancakes, sliced Italian bread
and LOTS of sour cream and chives. It smells incredible while cooking, too.

Madhavi