[Sca-cooks] large dayboard feast: need advice from those who have done this before

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 23 11:52:15 PDT 2002

>  The time frame is not
> set, but it is Northern European.
>    We are planning a clear soup (based on fighter
> needs), 2 varieties of pickles,

This is not particularly Northern European, actually it's Korean, but
have I got a great cold soup that's good for people who have been
working out or otherwise sweating!  They may laugh and call it Pickle
Juice but when the body is depleted nothing's finer.  I suck this stuff
down by the bucket in summertime.

Cucumber Cold Soup
            - Oi Naeng-kuk

          Cucumber  :  2
          Wakame:  1 tb  [my addition - shredded dried seaweed.  Can
leave out.]
          Green onion  :  1/2 stalk
          Garlic  :  1 clove
          Soy sauce  :  2 tbs
          Vinegar  :  3 tbs
          Sugar  :  1tb
          Sesame seed, roasted  :  1/2 ts
          Hot pepper powder  :  1 ts
          Salt

1. Wash the cucumbers scrubbing with salt.
Cut them in thin strips, or slice them 1/10 inch thick.

2. Crush the garlic and chop the green onion.

3. Put the cucumbers, wakame, green onion, garlic, hot pepper powder,
and 1 tablespoonful of vinegar in a bowl. Mix them well by hand.

4. Combine the remaining vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce with 4 cups of
cooled water.

5. For serving, pour the cooled soup on the mixture in the bowl, then
sprinkle the
roasted sesame seeds. Transfer it to individual bowls. This is often
served with an ice
cube in the bowl.

Selene Colfox, Caid