[Sca-cooks] large dayboard feast: need advice from those who have done this before

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 23 11:56:11 PDT 2002

Meat and cheese can be very expensive.  Have you checked with local
butchers?  Sometimes better prices can be found outside of restaurant supply
places.  Often we, here in Bright Hills, make our own sausages.  Keeps costs
down.  Of course, we are also blessed with having a couple of guild members
who live and breath bread so all our bread at feast and lunch is homemade,
which also reduces costs.
Adding a heartier soup or stew will certainly help with filling them up.
Offer that up first while you are putting out the other stuff, with the high
ticket items being brought out last.  Also, make sure you have servers.  If
someone is standing right there watching, it is less likely that someone
will heap half the tray onto their plate.  And never put everything out at
one time.  Use normal size platters, especially for the pricey stuff and
re-fill as needed.  Make sure you reserve some for the kitchen staff and
make sure they get time to eat it.  If needs be, send a runner to the
coronet, or whatever hat you have around, to ascertain what they might like
on their plate, which is made first.
Olwen