[Sca-cooks] dagger and daisy

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Oct 23 11:54:08 PDT 2002

> my only complaint about dinner was that apparently they didn't put out Miso
> soup.  otherwise it was excellent.

John can tell us what soup they did put out, there was a veggie soup base
and a non-veggie soup base but I don't think it was Miso. But I don't know
any of the words for things, so I'm at a loss.

The Pork with sweet potatoes was a real hit, as was the chicken in
Yaka-(something?) sauce. The soup with squid and daikon was good but had
few takers. The different rices were an interesting concept. It was all
delicious, even the squash. The Root vegetables with walnut sauce were
very good too. One of our very Penn Dutch shire members said, with
surprise, "I didn't think I'd like it but it's all really good!"

I screwed up and didn't remember that I needed to bring crockpots so the
soup bases ended up getting cold fast. Duh!

> so did anyone go to the formal dinner?

I helped plate part of it and did some of the dishes. It was amazing to
watch and participate in -- as close as I'm likely to get to period food
service.

About 4 dishes, including the venison, the shaved ice with Maple syrup and
some other things didn't get finished and served, and the feast went
overtime, but even those who were struggling with seating issues were very
patient (one person told me she wished she had brought little chinese
takeout boxes for the parts of her servings she couldn't eat!) The service
was graceful and leisurely.

The stuff that I tasted that struck me as really intensely yummy rather
than just good included:
 Kakinamasu - Persimmon & Daikon in sweet vinegar dressing
 Grilled Salmon
Simmered Dried Abalone
 Steamed Clams
Asparagus Spears with Walnut Sauce
 Pickles made with root vegetables
Egg "Tofu"- steamed egg custard
Squid Salad

There were asian pears, too, which weren't on the menu.

I hear the dayboard also got rave reviews, certainly everything I scammed
off other people's trays was great (I didn't make it to the actual
dayboard)

(the menus are still up at:
http://www.geocities.com/anne_liese_w/Japanese/japfeast.htm )

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
"I used to be one of them. Now I rather think I'm one of me." -- Terry
Prachett, _Thief of Time_