[Sca-cooks] large dayboard feast: need advice from those who have done this before

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Wed Oct 23 12:39:43 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim and Andi" <icbhod at comcast.net>
> Oh, another one I just thought of; that *is* medieval and fighters
love,
>I  have served this at a cold dreary blustery event to great success.
It's
> called Miszkulancja or Bigos (I think pronounced Bee-gauche). It's
from
>the Maria Dembinska book "food and drink of medieval poland" and the
>original recipe calls for all kinds of exotic roast meats (including
pheasant
>and boar) but I made it like this:
>
> Bigos for 12   <<<SNIP>>>

It looks like a lovely stew; I am just checking the verasity of the
medieval-ness of the recipe and dish.

Is this a recipe the author confirms was found in a source, or one of
the ones they modified from "traditional" recipes and extant Western
 European sources?  My recollection from reading my copy is that a
large
 majority (if not all) of the recipes presented were developed using
 inference regarding ingredient references and evidence applied to
existing recipes from other sources.

pacem et bonum,
niccooo difrancesco