[Sca-cooks] MetalSmiths Symposium - [03] Learning

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Oct 23 15:14:06 PDT 2002

Jadwiga skrev:

> > BTW, this was my first experience cooking for 100.
> > This was my first SCA feast.
>
> Vincenzo, from what I heard from those who were there, you did a great
> job!

He really did- if ever a feast was a trial by fire, this was it ;-)

The poor guy only had a couple week's notice, and some minor help from Olaf
and me, and fed 100 people 3 meals from a less than adequate kitchen. Yes,
certainly, timing could be improved, a bit more experience with quantities
would help, and perhaps a bit more time to formulate a menu with a wider
selection of foods, but all in all, the food was very tasty, and no-one left
hungry- not bad at all, considering the limitations he was working under.

Those of us who were there seriously want to do it again next year, and I
think that this is the sign of a successful cook- we all would like Vincenzo
to cook again ;-)

We do have some suggestions- for one thing, by the nature of some of the
classes, set meal times don't really make sense. As much energy as the
smithing crew puts out, we really would be better off with an All Day type
of board, so we could graze at need, possibly capped by a light supper, but
Vincenzo's cooking was excellent- I think any of you would have enjoyed
eating what he cooked ;-) He did a MARVELOUS job ;-)

Unfortunately, Olaf's crew found the entire thing a bit more labor-intensive
than the usual event, and got pretty burned out. Anybody, with perhaps a
larger group, interested in sponsoring another one next fall? We have a
great group of teachers ;-) And, of course, an experienced Head Cook ;-)

Phlip