[Sca-cooks] fun with pearls

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Oct 24 14:10:30 PDT 2002

At 03:55 PM 10/24/02 -0500, you wrote:
>--
>The problem being that I am doing this at work and cannot bring in a sewing
>machine. Also, machine sewing them never looks right either. Hand sewing
>them is about the only thing that looks good on tulle. if it were a heavier
>fabric, machine sewing doesn't look too aweful - but on tulle, it looks
>horrid.
>margai

This conversation reminds me of one of my first SCA outfits. I'd been
around a little less than a year, and  made a valiant attempt at a
Burgundian gown, complete with the tall, pointy hennin. There was a veil
over the hennin, and I thought it would be extra neat to put pearls all
along the edge. Yeah, it looked cool, but the 'pearls' were the
old-fashioned fakes- glass beads dipped in pearlized paint. HEAVY. Heaviest
headdress I've ever worn, and I've worn some doozies.

The hennin got smooshed in a move. I shed no tears over it.

I'm almost done with my new 'Texas Longhorn hat'! :-D)

'Lainie
Texas Longhorn= beef. OFC!