Lo-Carb Wafers [moving oop] was Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Dembinska book/"Food and Drink in Medieval Poland"

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 25 09:02:44 PDT 2002

On-topic:  I don't think I have ever seen poppy seed oil for sale.  What I do use
is a cooking spray [PAM] on the iron between batches.  The allegedly-non-stick
pizzelle iron =isn't= always.

Tangentially:  I have been experimenting with legume flours and pizzelle irons
lately in connection with my grim determination to make the low-carb diet work.  I
don't use oil in the batter per se, but use a lot of whole eggs, 3 eggs per 1/2
cup each and flour and cream.  The egg yolks provide the richness I'm hoping for.
Soybean flour worked but tasted "beany" and burnt easily.  Now I'm working with
mung bean flour, yup, the same critters that most bean sprouts are made of, and
it's working great!  It tastes milder, is a little sticky which leads me to think
that it would make good batter for frying.  It's a bit greenish of course, which
makes the batter look a tad bilious but they taste fine.  Next experiments:
savory with taco mix or seasoned salt;  Splenda and cinnamon or poudre douce for
sweet;  sugar-free Quik [chocolate milk powder] just for fun.

12 pounds and plateau-ing... I need all the shielding against temptation I can
get.  Period food is a big temptation.  Therefore, I work hard at adaptations to
stay on track.

Selene Colfox
and yes, you get wafers with this bluidy sea bird <squawnk!>