[Sca-cooks] rose hips oop

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 27 15:31:31 PST 2002

robert frazier asked:
> my roses have gifted me with several dozen thumb size
> hips.any ideas what i could do with them?
> i know they are hi in vitamin C and can be eaten in
> food but that all I've been able to find out.
> how do i dry them?
> any help as all was is very much appreciated.

Well, these were used in period. Or are you only asking for non-period
uses of these?

Go to the top of the Florilegium and use the search engine to search

on "rose hips". I suspect there are referances to these throughout
the Florilegium.
You might also look specifically at these files in the PLANTS, HERBS
AND SPICES section:

flowers-msg        (7K)  9/21/01    Period flowers. Growing flowers.
roses-art         (36K)  5/15/97    "Sacred Iron Posies" by Daniel del Cavallo.
                                       (medieval roses).
rose-syrup-msg    (10K)  6/24/99    Making rose syrup. It's uses. Sources.
rose-water-msg    (34K) 11/27/00    Where to buy. How to make. Rose-water uses.

And this one in the FOOD section:

cook-flowers-msg  (78K)  2/23/01    Cooking with flowers. Medieval flower dishes

I'm not sure, but I think some of the techniques given in this file
in the FOOD section might be of use in drying them:

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com