[Sca-cooks] Hungarian Goulash

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Oct 27 15:44:31 PST 2002

> One note, is that a lot of these recipes he gives are "traditional"
> without specific period recipes. However, like the Polish book also
> talked about here recently, this is likely the best we are going to
> get from this region at least for now. And you make the best of what
> you have.

Actually, for accurate info about Hungarian foodways, you can do better
with _Tender Meat Under the Saddle_ than with Georg Laing-- I've read both
and tend to take Laing with a quarter-cup of salt when he addresses our
period, because he's just not familiar with medieval food history. For
instance, he didn't know what long pepper was, so he wondered if it were a
Roman variety of paprika...

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
"I used to be one of them. Now I rather think I'm one of me." -- Terry
Prachett, _Thief of Time_