[Sca-cooks] Sourdough

Mon Oct 28 07:35:45 PST 2002

Sorry about that null message.  I really hate handling half a dozen things
at once.

Increasing the amount of starter might help, if you are using too little
starter to begin with.  The rise is related to the activity of the starter
rather than the quantity of the starter.  The lightness of the bread is
dependent on how effective the starter is at producing carbon dioxide.

You might try adding some malted barley flour (diastase malt) to your dough
to improve the conversion of starch to usable sugars.  Or you might use the
commercial baker's cheat, add a little dry active yeast to the mix to help
ensure the rise.

Bear