[Sca-cooks] large dayboard feast: thanks to all and a progress report

Marilyn Hillvic hillvicus at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 28 09:04:10 PST 2002

My dearest gentles,
   Good morning and for those of you returning to
standard time, I hope you enjoyed the extra hour of
sleep on Sunday morning.
   First, warm and heartfelt thanks for the
overwhelming response and guidance from the group. We
decided to "beef up" the beef broth with beef, diced
veggies and noodles, allowing fighters to just take
the broth if that's all they want. We added (cold)
roasted chicken legs for protein cravings (they come
with a built-in handle). And we will keep the cheddar
and swiss cheeses, but cut down on the portions.
Based on your feedback and advice, this is what we
came up with as the final dayboard for 500:
   Bread and butter
   ham (sliced)
   chicken legs and thighs, roasted and served cold
   carrot and celery stix
   apples and oranges
   hard boiled eggs
      (steam cooked and ice-bath to avoid green yolks)
   pickles
   cheese (fighter) biscuits
   beef-vegetable-noodle soup
   cheese cubes (swiss and cheddar)
   kielbasa sausage
   lemonade and water

   The royalty will get something similar but more
upscale and customized to their preferences. We'll
make our budget numbers easily.
   I may try some quiche and pasties recipes which
have also been proposed. I'll ask you for the recipes
privately. And again, thanks in advance!
   Just because I am so greatful, my heartfelt hugs to
all. When you get up to feeding these numbers of
people, the amount of food boggles the mind. We will
be in a large middle school so will use the cafeteria
service line to move the crowd along starting around
11:30 AM. And we will replenish food frequently as we
get to see everyone's garb and hear their tales of how
it fares out on the lists. There will be an outdoor
fighter board to feed the people in arms too. Our head
cook had an epiphany about propane camping stoves:
that is the *perfect* way to keep soup hot outdoors!
Kind of like extreme sterno.
   What a wonderful group you all are. When the event
is over (100 Minutes War, November 21st in Northern
New Jersey) I'll give you my report. And if you come,
please drop in the kitchen or come to the indoor
dayboard line and introduce yourselves as an sca-cooks
person. I'll be behind the counter, slicing bread and
smiling, trying to look like an 14th century lady
instead of a cafeteria lady %-).

      With warmest regards,
             Marion