[Sca-cooks] Better cooking through Forensic Accountancy

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Oct 30 07:31:51 PST 2002

This is great! Stefan, put this article in the Florilegium RIGHT NOW so I
can link to it. *GRIN*

>  OK, back to the spices ... nutmeg and saffron are used very lightly,
>with only four pounds each being ordered. Fifteen pounds of ginger, 30
>pounds of cinnamon and 40 pounds of pepper are bought, together with 60
>pounds of mace and 80 pounds of cloves.

Ok, I know I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but just one caution:
bear in mind that weights and volumes and proportions don't scale
linearly. So, a pound of saffron is a lot more saffron than a pound of
nutmegs, but to get the same amount of flavor you may use a lot less
nutmeg than saffron.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
"I used to be one of them. Now I rather think I'm one of me." -- Terry
Prachett, _Thief of Time_